Main Menu

Bookbinding.

Started by Albert, Sun 20 Feb 2011

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert

About 25 years ago when I was at university we did a module on bookbinding. I always loved the Creativity Books and always wanted to print my own.
I remember we were taught two methods, the traditional glue and bind method of the west and the ancient Japanese version of hand binding.
I noticed the most expensive thing needed was the industrial strength guillotine because its the straight edge that gives the finished book it's professional appearance. (It being able to slice through several hundred pages during trimming.)
About ten years ago when I had one of the early type printers I made about 5 copies of NER on a home printer but I just punched and bound them. I had no guillotine. I bound them in gold card, they looked OK but I just put them to one side. The cost per unit production was about the same as purchase from Matt Hale so I lost interest.
A couple of weeks ago I began to research on the internet about book binding again as it hadn't crossed my mind for many years. I noticed there is a ton of stuff out there.
Important equipment are a clamp ( I never thought of this though it's obvious, I knocked one together with wood, a couple of bolts and wing nuts. This holds the printed sheets together.
Then a fine 1mm drill. A series of holes down the bound edge and binding with RIBBON. A big needle for sewing was also needed. This is the ancient Japanese (read White) method of book binding. (Books bound this way have lasted 1500 years, as opposed to the western glue method, glue disintegrating after a century)
I decided to knock out some Little White Books as practice. It took me 10 to get fairly proficient producing something I would be proud to sell or give to family and friends.
My next step may be to get a lazer printer at some point as I think it's cheaper and can be used to do decent covers on thicker card.

Oh yeah, ink is so expensive, at $ 8000 a gallon. What we see here is Jews wanting a monopoly on bookbinding, printing and magical ink formulas, another nexus of Jew power.
I think all Creators need to attempt the Art of bookbinding, printing etc to again hammer away at another of the monopolies they control.

links
http://nomediakings.org/doityourself/doityourself_book_press.html
Formerly with the Premier Church of Creativity under Ben Klassen, PM.

Albert

SethCochran

Great points brother.

Book binding is an extremely important dying art.  Digital information and computers ultimately can't be trusted.  Without electricity you can't read the PDF format of Nature's Eternal Religion, and the information is lost.  See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Dark_Age

I am of the opinion that we need to move our people away from electronics and back to nature because, though useful, electronics are at best a temporary convenience.  Realistically, the resources and infrastructure don't exist to make them last forever- but our people will last forever.

Here are five reasons why regular books are better than electronic books:

Source:  http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/5_ways_that_paper_books_are_better_than_ebooks.php

1. Feel

Paper books just feel good in your hands - even the best designed eReader is a cold, lifeless steely contraption by comparison. Paper books are also seen as "more personal," which was a comment that a number of people made on the previous post. You can become attached to a copy of your favorite novel, or a well thumbed book of poetry. I own a worn copy of the novel 'Catch-22,' which I have read a number of times since my University days - and no eBook could ever replace the memories it evokes whenever I pick that book up...

2. Packaging

I bought a poetry book for Kindle on iPad last week, but it turned out that the eBook was missing half of the image of an obscure painting that adorned the front and back covers of the paper edition. The eBook just had the front cover art, not the back cover art. This is one small example of how paper books can have a more beautiful package than eBooks...

3. Sharing

I noted in the last post that receiving marked up books from a friend is something that can't be duplicated by eBooks - yet. Also, you can't lend a copy of an eBook to someone else. DRM (Digital Rights Management) or incompatible eBook formats prevent that...

4. Keeping

On the topics of DRM [digital rights management] and eBook formats, not only is this an issue for sharing - but for your own future accessibility of books. As Adrian Lafond eloquently noted, "If I "buy" an e-book, read it, put it in storage, and try to re-read it in 10 years (since I "own" it) it's anybody's guess whether there will exist a platform or device on which that will be possible for that particular e-book format and DRM scheme..."

5. Second-hand books

A few people noted that eBooks are still too expensive and that you can't get cheap second-hand copies. Or for that matter, expensive first edition copies...

Albert

I was watching the documentary Earth without humans and it said that actually our civilisation was just based on paper and digital discs at best. That none of it would last a couple of centuries without degrading. In comparison the ancient Egyptians put down their knowledge on stone and clay tablets that is still around today.

Rev.Cambeul

Yes, no White man to keep everything running and all knowledge will disappear.
Reverend Cailen Cambeul, P.M.E.
Church Administrator, Creativity Alliance
Church of Creativity South Australia
Box 7051, West Lakes, SA, Australia, 5021

Email: Admin@creativityalliance.com
Crypto Coin Details in Forum Profile

Noli Nothis Permittere Le Terere
The only way to prevent 1984 is 2323
Joining the Creativity Alliance is Free
https://creativityalliance.com/join

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned.
When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain.