Main Menu

Engraving.

Started by Albert, Mon 30 Jan 2012

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert

Something i've thought of doing for a while now but never got round to..
My wifes grandparents had some old craft type things on the wall. They were copper plaques (probably just made from old piping) that had been flattened and polished and engraved with sayings. These had then been nailed with brass nails onto old wooden oak plaques. The whole effect was very nice, traditional and attractive.
I've thought of doing this for years but never ever got round to it. I wanted to get the Creativity commandments, slogans etc done in the same way.
I'm just mentioning it here as a sugestion in case anyone else wants to try it...I think it would be a good idea and maybe be a source of income or make nice gifts to people.
Formerly with the Premier Church of Creativity under Ben Klassen, PM.

SethCochran

I agree, they would make very nice decorations.

Rev.Cambeul

Same here. Coming from a family with regimental colours and plaques on the walls, I have always thought that the same would be useful for us; but I am not a handyman, nor do I have my own workshop or tools, so I automatically discarded the idea for myself. However, if someone else can do what I can't, then I applaud and encourage it!

A similar design to that which you mentioned, Reverend Albert, is to use flat copper sheet. Draw your design on the copper sheeting, define the lines with a pointed tool, and then fill out the three dimensional aspects of the image using a blunt tool. Fill the back with plaster-of-paris and nail it to a board. When finished, you have a three dimensional, copper coloured photograph. If you can draw faces, then you can even create busts of a sort that can be mounted on the wall. I can't, but maybe you can?

@Cailen.
Reverend Cailen Cambeul, P.M.E.
Church Administrator, Creativity Alliance
Church of Creativity South Australia
Box 7051, West Lakes, SA, Australia, 5021

Email: Admin@creativityalliance.com
Crypto Coin Details in Forum Profile

Noli Nothis Permittere Le Terere
The only way to prevent 1984 is 2323
Joining the Creativity Alliance is Free
https://creativityalliance.com/join

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned.
When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain.

VanDamme

An idea I've had is to get a laser engraving machine. Gravestone makers use them to etch portraits and text into granite slabs. It would look pretty cool to have the sixteen commandments or PM Bne Klassens portrait etched onto some granite slabs, sort of like "the Ten commandments" by moses. It would just look good in photos on the web etc etc, in the shrines, Temples and Creativity Churches popping up everywhere.
I think the cost of an engraver is about $1500, a bit out my budget range at the moment but something i'd consider in the future.
Another drawback would be picking them up. I think a granite slab would be a bit expensive in the post. Still its something for the future.

VanDamme